All Access Tour requires a map of the USA with links between major, secondary and minor cities. I thought this would be an easy process…it is not. Here are the steps I have taken so far…
- Borrowed a projector from a friend so I could enlarge a map of the US with cities and draw it onto paper from which then I could adhere to a board.
- Drew the map and states and divided the US into six regions for game play.
- Realized the map was too small and drew another map. Penned the outline of national and state borders with a Sharpie. Realized that the outline needed to wait until cities and connections were determined.
- Drew third map using projector…added the cities using different sized circles for each level. Started to link the cities and then realized how random my linkages seemed. How could I resolve this?
- Drew a fourth map…lots of paper being used!…this time I placed a triangle/hex grid over the map similar to TransAmerica. This grid will be used for the placement of cities and for connections
This is as far as I have got. It might not seem like a lot was accomplished but I believe that apart from the old adage ‘measure twice cut once’ being abused, I have come quite a way with the map design for All Access Tour.