There are some very clever people out there. Way cleverer than me and I like to think I am smart! How Uwe Rosenburg came up with Agricola and how Stefan Feld came up with In the Year of the Dragon and Macao makes my mind want to explode – even though they may have borrowed mechanics from previous games.
Here are some of the mechanics I wish I had thought of (they might not be the original use of the mechanic but were my first introduction):
1) The tool mechanic in Stone Age – fits perfectly with the theme
2) The reshuffling of cards and replacing them on top of the deck in Pandemic – brilliant!
3) The movement (vector) mechanic in Bolide – the game is slow but the mechanic awesome!
4) Using a role to perform a certain task a la Citadels and Mission Red Planet
5) Worker placement! Enough said!
6) Tile placement as in Carcassonne, where the map is always changing.
These are but a few of my favourite mechanics.